söndag 29 augusti 2010

4000+ miles

The whole route between DC and NYC took me eight days. It was nice to have all that time at hand for a not too large a distance and I really enjoyed this additional part of my cycling, even if it was hard at times to find good routes (I did most of the part without ACA maps) and even if I had to make more of an effort to stay reasonably safe. I will now just give the main information more or less as it is in my notebook. That way I can get out to explore some more of New York City today! :-)

August 19:th
I cycled out of DC. It was fairly easy and very pretty. There was a bike path all the way out (a different one from the one I took when I entered, so that must mean there is plenty of nature in and around the city). Later on, it got trickier. I missed a few turns and ended up somewhere in the outskirts of Baltimore. It wasn't good. But I found a man outside a church who helped me find a motel in Pikesville, just before it got dark.

August 20th
The next day I spent some time in the Pikesville library to make sure I wouldn't end up in the same situation again. However, that time spent in the library ment I had too little time to get to Columbia, where I was planning on heading. So just before Manchester, PA, I went into another library to see if I could find a different place to stay the night (it IS a bit tricky without good maps...).

There were plenty of people around who wanted to help out - and scare me: They had had guns pointed at their heads and they had been mugged and it was all going to be worse and worse and worse the closer I got to NYC. Normally, I wouldn't listen, but the recent experience from the night before made me give them my attention. I actually considered going back to DC.

But then Sharon, the librarian, stepped in. She decided to take me home and feed me and give me time to plan my trip. When it came to the scary stories, she just laughed at them. Sharon had been on a road trip herself a few years back, and she knew all about peoples ideas about what a single woman cannot do.... I spent two nights at Sharons house - which btw is my dream house! - and I had a really good rest. And then I hit the road again. Of course :-)



August 22nd
In York, I had Warmshower hosts. That is ALWAYS good. Other long distance bicyclists know what you need, and so did this couple, Debra and Gary. Plenty of good food was served, and I was even allowed to make my own coffee. Since they had toured in Sweden, they knew about Swedish people and their coffee preferences...



August 23rd
And then it was time for Lancaster, where I stayed with the musicians Anne and Rob. I couldn't remember the last time I went to a pub, and then they took me to one that served Hoegaarden!

August 24th
I was planning on going to a Couchsurfing host in Norristown, and I had a pretty good day of bicycling, although it got slightly rainy towards the end of it. But then I got troubles finding my way, and so when I saw Carolmarie, I asked her for directions. And that's how I ended up staying with her instead - she was a mother and she just wouldn't have it that I'd stayed in that town, on that street. Apparently there had been shootings the night before. My couchsurfing host didn't deny living in a dodgy part of the town, and so I shoved my bike into Carolmaries car and off we went. (The next day she took me back to the exact same spot and I could continue my biking...).


August 25:th
I went to Ruth and Jason in Doylestown. This is a fantastic couple who goes out of their way to help guests out. They were just so friendly. Also, Jasons food is to die for (and we had REAL maple syrup for breakfast!), and his directions that he put on my bike with a little clip (now THAT is something I should have done weeks ago!) were terrific. Ruth: I have already started reading your book! Thank you!



August 26th/27th
On the final day, after yet another good stay at a Motel6 (I totally recommend it! Nice and clean and very low priced), this time in East Brunswick, I went to get some drinks. The manager of the shop somehow found out about my trip, and invited me an my Surly in to take pictures. They had never heard of anyone ever cycling across the US before. "That must be some kind of record or something!" they decided. Of course it isn't and I wouldn't pretend it was, but I had a good time posing anyway :-)

1 kommentarer:

Blogger Unknown sa...

Monica, Congratulations on completing your trip! It is quite an accomplishment and you have lots of stories to tell. Mark and I laughed at our inclusion in your journal and were glad we could be a last minute host. Keep in touch. Carolmarie

29 augusti 2010 kl. 18:23  

Skicka en kommentar

Prenumerera på Kommentarer till inlägget [Atom]

<< Startsida